Wednesday 6 July 2011

Vintage Buys

I couldn't resist this little clock even though it has a very loud TICK the clock we use is silent so I think this one will be for decoration only.
 I bought two large hand embroidered tablecloths for £1 this one is pink with white cotton lace at the side
this is the other one
I'm always a bit afraid of washing anything with embroidery on incase it runs has anyone else had problems ?
last is one odd earring + a pair these are going to be made into brooches, I have now made the magical number of  14 I'm trying my best to get together a decent collection before I try and sell them, I'm no good at the business side I just enjoy the making.

How have you all been doing treasure hunting ? even though I don't always comment I do try and keep up with reading your posts, the last bootfair  I went to I came home like a roasted chicken it was so hot.

We are still waiting for an appointment for the hospital so life goes on, we are trying to keep things as normal as possible.
3 weeks left before the end of term :) and our supply teacher is trying to cram all the unfinished work into it   :(

Well I'm off,  Mums taxi is calling again, can't wait for said son to pass his test.

bye for now
Cate x

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Those cloths are gorgeous! The embroidery is really pretty xx

Mum said...

The cloths must have been washed sometime so washing them should be OK. I would keep to warm water though, not hot and hand wash them first to see if any colours do run.
I don't like clocks ticking either.
Love from Mum
xx

KC'sCourt! said...

I collect those sorts of tablecloths.
I actually boil mine - I can hear you going Aaaarrrgh! Don't! If they are embroidered in good quality thread then they will be OK be rest assured. If not sure dip a soft cloth like a mans hankerchief into hot water and dab onto embroiderery. If it is going to run it with go onto the cloth. Do this on the deep colours like Red, Green, Blue or Black. By boiling them you will know if the cloth is rotten it will just fall apart. If you buy a good quatlity skein of thread ie Anchor of DMC it actually says wash at 90 degrees.
Julie xxxxxx

OhSoVintage said...

Pretty cloths. I have washed lots of embroidered linens and none have ever run. I don't like to hear a clock ticking reminding us that time is ticking by!

petals and vintage said...

I have never had a problem with colours running and I usually soak them overnight in hot water and Napisan. That is if they really need washing. Great cheap finds though.

Loud ticking clocks are banned in our house :)

Pam x

A Treasured Past said...

Hiya, thanks for the link, the kids are on school holidays at the moment, so it may come in handy (although our oven still isn't fixed it may be a problem)

Great finds, the cloths are very pretty. I am sure they will be fine to wash, I don't think I have had a problem, but we usually wash in cold water.

Hope you get the appointment soon, it must be hard. Tam x

Unknown said...

Lovely linen. I tend to wash mine in the machine on a 30 degree wash its always ok. dee x

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Love the clock and the cloths. I've got a similarly loud ticker (you can barely hear the telly when it's ticking, it's that loud!), terrible time keeper though. Yup agree with the other commenters, those cloths can be washed as a rule.

fabriquefantastique said...

I find a ticking clock soothing...think it reminds me of my childhood. Never had a problem with that kind of linen. I usually soak in Oxi (don't know if you get that in UK)

Elizabeth said...

Love your pretty finds! I have a table runner kind of like the one with the embroidered basket.
I have washed all my embroidered cloths and have not had any problems.
I hope everything is ok and your date you need comes soon.
I surely know all about feeling like Taxi driver.
Fingers crossed.
Elizabeth

Tabbyroo said...

The cloths are very pretty and a great bargain, I've soaked cloths before now in stain removal and they've survived ok Linda xx

Anonymous said...

I don't like ticking clocks in the bedroom, but I love them in the kitchen lol.

I wash vintage linens at either 30 or 40 degrees and use a whitening washing powder like Surf. The old vintage embroidery thread is very robust, I've never had any that run. xx